The Harvard Dance Center opened in the Fall of 2005 and is one of the primary performance venues for dance at Harvard. The Center houses the Dance Office and features two studios and performance amenities for students and visiting artists. Studio One converts from a 3,500 square foot studio to a theater space with a capacity of 300. Both spaces are used for courses, artist residencies, classes and undergraduate dance company rehearsals and residencies. The Harvard Dance Center is accessible for individuals using wheelchairs.
The Harvard Dance Center and the Director's Studio at 74 Mt. Auburn St. currently remain CLOSED to all activity for the duration of the Spring 2021 semester, according to Harvard University's safety and health assesment for COVID-19. Any updates around studio space reservations will be posted here.
Check for updates on Harvard College Campus Status for Housing and Residential Life and Open Locations that can be reserved for individual use.
If you have questions or concerns about the Dance Center spaces, email the Dance Center staff.
SPRING 2021 LOWEL LECTURE HALL RESERVATIONS
Beginning March 24 through May 13, 2021, Lowell Lecture Hall is accepting requests for reserving the main stage for dance. Due to safety protocols around COVID, there is limited amount of space, but 1.5-2 hour sessions will be made available each week for individuals and groups of up to 4 people.
Please read the below guidelines and expectations fully and fill out the following form to request space:
The form will be updated each week with new dates.
- For Harvard College residential undergraduates only; undergraduates living off campus and graduate students are not eligible at this time
For INDIVIDUAL dancers: four 90-minute practice sessions available per week; one dancer per session
- Wednesdays, 3-4:30pm and 7-8:30pm
- Thursdays, 3-4:30pm and 7-8:30pm
For GROUP dancers of up to 4: two 2-hour practice session available per week; group=up to 4 dancers, with socially distant spaces marked on the floor
- Saturdays, 2:30-4:30pm
- Sundays, 2:30-4:30pm
- Due to limited space, you may request only one time slot per week
- Due to limited space, we cannot guarantee that your request will be granted for one particular date/time; please share viable second choices. Also, try again the following week!
- by 3pm on Tuesday for the Wednesday individual sessions
- by 3pm on Wednesday for the Thursday individual sessions
- by 3pm on Friday for the Saturday or Sunday group sessions
- Time slots booked prior to the deadlines posted will be noted on the date/time options listed
- "Sprung" hard wood floor stage area
- Portable ballet barres available for individual practice only
- Sound system with touch-less Bluetooth connection to phone or laptop
EXPECTATIONS/ROOM USE POLICIES
- Crimson Clear daily attestation must be completed before building access is permitted.
- Dancers must arrive 5 minutes before the scheduled session time and call on-duty staff for entry (contact phone number will be provided). For the group dance session, all members of the group must arrive at the same time and access the building together, following social distancing protocols.
- Social distancing must be practiced in hallways.
- Face covering/mask must be worn for the duration of the practice session.
- Proper hand sanitizing is required before entering.
- Confirm departure time with on-duty staff; notify them when you are ready to leave (contact phone number will be provided.)
- No propping open doors.
- No food allowed; pre-filled, bottled water only
Additional policies and procedures will be outlined on arrival. If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DANCE CENTER STUDIO SPACE RESERVATIONS
Below is information for reserving studio spaces in a typical pre-COVID-19 year. Please note the future usage and guidelines may change as more information is gathered around University protocols going forward.
The Harvard Dance Center is open 7 days a week, 9am-midnight. The Dance Office hours are 9:30am-5:30pm Monday-Friday.
Harvard Dance Center map
66 Garden Street | Cambridge, MA 02138
email@example.com | 617-495-8683
Student-led dance groups and Harvard undergraduate and graduate students may request to reserve studio spaces at Harvard Dance Center and the OFA Director's Studio, based on availability. For information on requesting studio space and using the Dance Center-run studios, please read fully the Dance Center Handbook.
The Dance Center has two studios and one Green Room. Studio 1 capacity: 80. Studio 2 capacity: 30. Offers: Mirrors, barres, sprung floor with marley, pianos. Dressing rooms, showers, gender neutral restrooms. The green room can also be booked for small rehearsals. Capacity: 10.
The Director's Studio at the OFA, 74 Mt. Auburn Street. Capacity: 20. Offers: mirrors, sound system, barres, sprung floor with Marley, upright piano. There are two gender neutral restrooms that can be used as changing rooms.
The following are the hours students may reserve are the following (based on availability):
Harvard Dance Center (Studio 1, Studio 2, and Green Room), 66 Garden St.
- Monday-Sunday: 9:30am-11:45pm
Director’s Studio, OFA, 74 Mt. Auburn St.
- Monday-Thursday: 4:30-11:00pm
- Friday: 5pm-9pm
- Saturday: 9am-5:00pm
- Sunday: Noon-11:00pm
For Student-Led Dance Groups
At the beginning of each semester, student-led dance groups are each assigned a weekly 2.5 hour rehearsal slot. Beyond this slot, additional space is available on an ad hoc basis up to 2 weeks in advance.
To request a recurring rehearsal time, please fill out the Student-Led Dance Group Weekly Recurring Request Form.
Additional studio reqeusts should be made via RoomBook (online scheduler). You will receive a confirmation directly from RoomBook if your request is approved within the week. All undergraduates in the College can log into RoomBook with their HUID and PIN, but you must be an officer listed in theHub to make a reservation for a student group. Please contact Julie Leist or Jonrobert Bagley if you need assistance registering or for questions about RoomBook.
See the calendar of student-led dance group events and email firstname.lastname@example.org to get your events added!
For Individual Harvard Students and Affiliates
Inviduals who are not part of a student-led dance group looking to request studio space, please ubmit your requested times in the following form: Individual Ad-Hoc Request Form. A Dance Center representative will be in touch to confirm your reservation within the week of your request.
ALL ARE WELCOME
The Harvard Dance Center is a space where every student can be fully self-expressed without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe based on race, ethnicity, cultural background or tradition, biological sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or physical or mental ability; a space where the social contract supports each person's self-respect and dignity, and encourages everyone to respect others.
We are anti-racist and are actively challenging our own assumptions and biases as we work toward true equity for all. In that spirit, we do not tolerate racism, discrimination, bias, and intolerance of any kind from anyone in, associated with, or visiting the Harvard Dance Center in person or virtual spaces.
617.495.8683 | email@example.com