About the Artist in Residence Program
Application Deadline: Friday, April 9th, 2021
Notification of Residency: Friday, April 23rd, 2021
Residency Dates: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2022
The Artist in Residence Program through the Ceramics Program, Office for the Arts at Harvard, offers dedicated artists the opportunity to involve themselves in research and growth, pushing their art in new directions in a dynamic, urban studio connected to the Harvard community. Individuals will have the opportunity to build relevant skills in research, professional development, technical ability, creative problem solving, teaching and community involvement through our Artist in Residence Program.
The Artist in Residence Program offers
- Personal studio space (60 sq. ft.) in addition to use of common studio space
- 7 day studio access
- Free access to materials - clay, glaze and use of kilns (electric, saggar, wood fire, soda and gas) up to excess
- Opportunities to take classes and firing workshops within the program
- Paid teaching opportunities within the program for both community and academic based classes.
- Solo exhibition in Gallery 224 of work completed during residency
- Attend visiting artist workshops and symposium offered within the program
- Exhibition/sales opportunities in two annual Show and Sales
- Access to studio equipment including slab roller, extruder, spray booth, plaster mold-making room and glaze mixing area
- Access to studio lighting and background material for documenting work
- Website visibility
- Access to Harvard University Library and Museums with provided ID
- Opportunities for participation in academic collaborations with the Harvard community
Expectations of Artist in Residence
- One year commitment
- Must spend 20 hours/week of time dedicated to personal work
- Must spend 5 hours/week dedicated to work within the program
- One public workshop presentation
- Provide presentations to classes
- Participation in program events and special projects with the Harvard Community
- Artist is asked to leave one work for the permanent collection
- Responsible for own housing
Application can be submitted electronically: provide us with a link to files labeled with your name on Dropbox or Google Docs to email@example.com.
- Resume with personal contact information
- Artist statement
- Personal statement that reflects your reason for applying to the Ceramics Program - Office for the Arts at Harvard residency program
10 digital images, plus one optional detail per image. Files in jpeg format at 300 dpi, with images' longest dimensions approximately 7 inches/2100 pixels. Each image should be labeled with the following format:
image number_first initial_last name (example: 1_j_smith.jpg, 2_j_smith.jpg, etc.). Images will be used for promotional purposes upon acceptance to the program.
- Corresponding image list. List should address each image by number in terms of: title, year, size of work, medium/techniques used.
- Work should be current and completed within the last 2 years
- List of 3 references - please provide, name, title, mailing and email address and telephone.
- THERE IS NO FEE FOR APPLICATION
- Notification will be made via email
Send invitation to online, downloadable file storage site (Google Docs or Dropbox preferred):
Kathy King, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
April 15, 2020 - Application materials must be submitted and review will begin.
April 22 – April 29, 2020 - Finalists will be notified to arrange a phone/video conference interview with Ceramics Program Director, Kathy King
April 29, 2020 - Notification will be made via email.
May 13, 2020 - Selected artist must accept or decline the residency.
We typically welcome prospective applicants to visit the Ceramics Program prior to application and/or acceptance. Please note that as of March 13, 2020, in-person visits are not possible due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Prospective applicants are welcome and encouraged to contact Kathy King, Director with any questions about the residency before submitting their application.