Music Teacher Reference Guide
The online Music Teacher Reference Listing is administered by the Office for the Arts (OFA) to help Harvard Students find opportunities to study music. Although Harvard University does not have its own staff of music instructors, the Cambridge/Boston area has many qualified teachers. The Listing provides names of local instructors who have expressed interest in teaching Harvard Students. Information includes rates, location and brief biographical notes. Students are responsible for contacting instructors to verify lesson plans and costs. Should you have questions call or drop by the OFA (74 Mt. Auburn Street), 5-8676.
FOR STUDENTS: When using this listing please remember the following:
- Use this listing as an initial step in searching for a private music instructor. However, note that this is not a complete listing of the many qualified instructors that teach in the area. You can also visit local conservatory and music school links we’ve provided (see below) for further information on possible instructors.
- Unless noted in their biographical information, instructors listed are not employed, are not Faculty of, nor have received any official endorsement to teach by Harvard University.
- If you have received a Music Lesson Subsidy from the Office for the Arts, you are NOT required to take lessons from the listed instructors should you already have an instructor or find another not represented on the online listing.
When choosing instructor remember to:
- Contact instructors that you may be interested in as soon as possible. The scheduling of lessons can sometimes prove challenging.
- Ask for credentials, their teaching philosophy and scheduling flexibility. Be prepared to discuss with instructors your available time commitment based on your schedule.
- Use instructors as a resource for other instructor recommendations. If you find that the instructor you initially contact will not work out for you, they many be able to provide further information to you on instructors that would be suitable for you.
- Conntact Yosvany Terry, Senior Lecturer on Music/Director of Jazz Bands (yosvanyterry@fas or 5.2791) if you are a jazz musician looking for further references.
- Read (and print out) the list of important questions to ask a potential instructor.
If you are interested in being listed on the Music Teacher Reference File, please send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
address of lessons (public):
home address (for our records, not public):
Transportation to Instructor:
Your listing should appear one week after we receive your information.
Please note that the online Music Teacher Reference File is a service the Office for the Arts provides for students interested in taking private music lessons. This is not a Faculty position or a Harvard employment position. Please do not indicate it as such on your resume and/or Curriculum Vitae.