Dates: January 24 - April 11 (12 classes/14 weeks) CLASS IS WAITLISTED
Day/Time: Mondays, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Level: Intermediate - Advanced
Instructor: Steve Murphy
Course Description: Focusing primarily on the wheel, this class for intermediate to advanced potters will explore size, form, refinement, and surface. A focus of the class will be on the concept of wabi sabi – the traditional Japanese aesthetic of a world centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. Tea Ceremony ware including tea bowls (Chawan) and water containers (Misusashi) will be demonstrated. We will also cover large vessels and the tradition of Korean double-walled and pierced vases. Class demonstrations will be given every class at 10:45. Demos usually run between 35 and 40 minutes leaving you plenty of time to make work. Student are encouraged to make requests.
Note: Class will be held on Monday, February 21 (Presidents' Day).
Basic Pottery Tool Kit
Soft Hake Brush
Tool Purchases: Here is the list of available tools and materials at the Ceramics Program. You may also consider ordering from a local supplier (Sheffield Pottery, Amherst Pottery Supply or Portland Pottery). If you have questions, please email Ji-Eun Kim directly at email@example.com.
Course Fees: Your course fee covers use of all clays (terra cotta, midrange, and high fire stoneware, sculpture body, porcelain, and midrange casting slip), bisque firing, glazes, and glaze firing up to 8600 cu. inches of kiln space, as well as 7-day access to the ceramics program and its equipment from the start date of your class through April 30th. You are invited to take part in the Spring Show and Sale on May 4 – 8th.
$125 for Harvard College Undergraduate Students; $400 for Harvard Graduate Students; $930 for Adult Community; Harvard Employee TAP Regular and Long Service - follow instructions in online registration system for pricing.
- Adult Community: 18+; General Public; Harvard alumni, fellows, Extension School students, Harvard University Doctoral Candidates and faculty/staff who are not TAP-eligible; students from universities other than Harvard
- Harvard Employees eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): TAP regular (employees worked less than 15 years) and TAP long service (employees who worked 15 or more years at Harvard)
- Harvard College Undergraduate Students: Currently enrolled students at Harvard College. This does not include Harvard Extension School Undergraduate Students. You must register with your Harvard email – we can arrange for an alternative email to be used for class after registration is complete.
- Harvard Graduate Students: Currently enrolled students in a Harvard University Graduate Program. This does not include Harvard Extension School Graduate Students or Harvard University Doctoral Candidates.
Registration will begin on Tuesday, November 16th at 2:00PM EST.
All registered students will receive a confirmation with class syllabus one week prior to the start date.
• For questions regarding course content, policies, staffing or facilities, please contact Director, Kathy King.
• For questions regarding registration, purchase of tools and materials, please contact Administrative Coordinator, Ji-Eun Kim.
• For questions regarding electric kiln certification, materials, studio equipment and safety policies, please contact Operations Coordinator, Geoff Booras at firstname.lastname@example.org.