Dates: January 26 - April 13 (12 classes/14 weeks) CLASS IS WAITLISTED
Day/Time: Wednesdays, 10:00am – 1:00 pm
Level: Intermediate – Advanced
Instructor: Diane Lulek and Joanna Mark
Course Description: This class will demonstrate a combination of slab and wheel work, surface decoration, and an exploration of form. Techniques will focus on both hard and soft slab construction, often combined with wheel thrown elements. Surface techniques will include the use of slips, carving, inlay, sgraffito, handmade stamps, and found objects. Those incorporating wheel thrown work will be expected to bring that work with them to class. No wheel instruction will be provided in this class. Basic clay knowledge is recommended.
Basic Pottery Tool Kit
Here is the list of available tools and materials at the Ceramics Program. You may also consider ordering from a local supplier (Sheffield Pottery, Amherst Pottery Supply or Portland Pottery). If you have questions, please email Ji-Eun Kim directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Fees: Your course fee covers use of all clays (terra cotta, midrange, and high fire stoneware, sculpture body, porcelain, and midrange casting slip), bisque firing, glazes, and glaze firing up to 8600 cu. inches for 14 weeks of kiln space, as well as 7-day access to the Ceramics Program and its equipment from the start date of your class through April 30th. You are welcome to participate in our Spring Show and Sale, May 4-8th, 2022.
$125 for Harvard College Undergraduate Students; $400 for Harvard Graduate Students; $930 for Adult Community; Harvard Employee TAP Regular and Long Service - follow instructions in online registration system for pricing.
- Adult Community: 18+; General Public; Harvard alumni, fellows, Extension School students, Harvard University Doctoral Candidates and faculty/staff who are not TAP-eligible; students from universities other than Harvard
- Harvard Employees eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): TAP regular (employees worked less than 15 years) and TAP long service (employees who worked 15 or more years at Harvard)
- Harvard College Undergraduate Students: Currently enrolled students at Harvard College. This does not include Harvard Extension School Undergraduate Students. You must register with your Harvard email – we can arrange for an alternative email to be used for class after registration is complete.
- Harvard Graduate Students: Currently enrolled students in a Harvard University Graduate Program. This does not include Harvard Extension School Graduate Students or Harvard University Doctoral Candidates.
Registration will begin on Tuesday, November 16th at 2:00PM EST.
All registered students will receive a confirmation with class syllabus one week prior to the start date.
- For questions regarding course content, policies, staffing or facilities, please contact Director, Kathy King.
- For questions regarding registration, purchase of tools and materials, please contact Administrative Coordinator, Ji-Eun Kim.
- For questions regarding electric kiln certification, materials, studio equipment and safety policies, please contact Operations Coordinator, Geoff Booras at email@example.com.