Dates: August 31 - November 16 (12 classes | 14 weeks) - waitlisted for Adult Community
Day/Time: Wednesdays, 10:00am – 1:00 pm
Level: Intermediate – Advanced
Instructor: Joanna Mark and Diane Lulek
Course Description: This class will demonstrate a combination of slab, surface decoration, and an exploration of form. Techniques will focus on both hard and soft slab construction to create mugs, planters, plates and trays, boxes, sculpture and more. Surface techniques will include the use of slips, carving, inlay, sgraffito, handmade stamps, and found objects. Glazing techniques and decoration will be discussed. Basic clay knowledge is recommended.
Basic Pottery Tool Kit
Here is the list of available tools and materials at the Ceramics Program. You may also consider ordering from a local supplier (Sheffield Pottery, Amherst Pottery Supply or Portland Pottery). If you have questions, please email Ji-Eun Kim directly at email@example.com.
Your course fee covers use of all clays (terra cotta, midrange, and high fire stoneware, sculpture body, porcelain, and midrange casting slip), bisque firing, glazes, and glaze firing up to 8600 cu. inches of kiln space for 14 weeks, as well as 7-day access to the Ceramics Program and its equipment from the start date of your class through December 3rd. All are welcome to participate in the Winter Show and Sale December 8th – 11th!
Course Fees: $150 for Harvard College Undergraduate Students; $450 for Harvard Graduate Students; $975 for Adult Community; Harvard Employee TAP Regular and Long Service - follow instructions in online registration system for pricing.
- Adult Community: 18+, General Public; Harvard alumni, fellows, faculty/staff, and post-docs who are not TAP-eligible; Harvard Extension School students; students from universities other than Harvard
- Harvard Employees eligible for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP): TAP regular (employees worked less than 15 years) and TAP long service (employees who worked 15 or more years at Harvard).
- Harvard College Undergraduate Students: Currently enrolled students at Harvard College. This does not include Harvard Extension School Undergraduate Students. You must register with your Harvard email – we can arrange for an alternative email to be used for class after registration is complete.
- Harvard Graduate Students: Currently enrolled students in a Harvard University Graduate Program. This does not include Harvard Extension School Graduate Students.
Registration will begin on Tuesday, July 19th at 2pm for Harvard Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Registration will begin on Wednesday, July 20th at 2pm for Adult Community and Harvard Employees
All registered students will receive a confirmation with class syllabus one week prior to the start date.
- For questions regarding course content, policies, staffing or facilities, please contact Director, Kathy King.
- For questions regarding registration, purchase of tools and materials, please contact Administrative Coordinator, Ji-Eun Kim.
- For questions regarding electric kiln certification, materials, studio equipment and safety policies, please contact Operations Coordinator, Geoff Booras at firstname.lastname@example.org.