Music Teacher Reference Guide
The online Music Teacher Reference Listing is administered by the Office for the Arts (OFA) to help Harvard Students find opportunities to study music. Although Harvard University does not have its own staff of music instructors, the Cambridge/Boston area has many qualified teachers. The Listing provides names of local instructors who have expressed interest in teaching Harvard Students. Information includes rates, location and brief biographical notes. Students are responsible for contacting instructors to verify lesson plans and costs. Should you have questions call or drop by the OFA (74 Mt. Auburn Street), 5-8676.
When using this listing please remember the following:
- Use this listing as an initial step in searching for a private music
instructor. However, note that this is not a complete listing of the
many qualified instructors that teach in the area. You can also visit
local conservatory and music school links we’ve provided (see
below) for further information on possible instructors.
- Unless noted in their biographical information, instructors listed
are not employed, are not Faculty of, nor have received any official
endorsement to teach by Harvard University.
- If you have received a Music Lesson Subsidy from the Office for the Arts, you are NOT required to take lessons from the listed instructors should you already have an instructor or find another not represented on the online listing.
When choosing instructor remember to:
- Contact instructors that you may be interested in as soon as possible.
The scheduling of lessons can sometimes prove challenging.
- Ask for credentials, their teaching philosophy and scheduling flexibility.
Be prepared to discuss with instructors your available time commitment
based on your schedule.
- Use instructors as a resource for other instructor recommendations.
If you find that the instructor you initially contact will not work
out for you, they many be able to provide further information to you
on instructors that would be suitable for you.
- Contact Mark Olson, Interim Director of Harvard Bands (meolson@fas or 6.2263)
if you are a jazz musician looking for further references.
- Read (and print out) the list of important questions to ask a potential instructor.
Other Resources: Music Schools (and their instructors): New England Conservatory | Berklee College of Music | Cambridge Music Consortium |
Boston Conservatory | Boston University School of Music
Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in D:\www\ofa\teachers\index.php on line 131
Notice: Undefined variable: link in D:\www\ofa\teachers\index.php on line 151
Warning: mysql_close() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in D:\www\ofa\teachers\index.php on line 151